Adventures of Prairie Girl and Code Minkey

Surviving floods, thwarting mosquito invasions, enduring weather extremes all while living in our little house...

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Michelle in the news

I was recently in Saint John, New Brunswick at the 12th Canadian National Drinking Water conference. (I think this has been the only conference that I have attended where I was asked by strangers "are you with *the* conference"?)

For the first time since I can remember, I was actually in a session where I didn't feel like "one of these things is not like the other, one of these things just isn't the same" - or "now for something completely different". It was great! I was the 4th speaker. The previous three presentations touched on similar issues regarding risk communication and public perceptions of risk but raised different nuances based on their drinking water studies. I was presenting some preliminary analyses from the focus groups that my graduate student and I conducted in Ontario to see what the public thinks of their drinking water. Following the presentation, I, and Andria Jones from Memorial University (one of the other speakers), were interviewed by CBC Radio Saint John. Upon my return to Winnipeg, I received an email from Mike Just who stumbled across the news story.

Well, Mike wasn't the only one with lots of time on his hands to see the story. I will be interviewed again on CBC Radio Winnipeg this friday (April 7) between 5:30PM and 6:00PM. Of course, journalists are paid to surf the web. Mike is paid to work on improving security systems on the web. Hmm...maybe my story on drinking water could become a security issue of importance. Stay tuned...

2 Comments:

At 5:53 p.m., Blogger Christian Muise said...

Congrats!!

Any chance of being able to hear it from an online radio broadcast stream?

 
At 5:58 p.m., Blogger Christian Muise said...

Congrats!!

Any chance of being able to hear it from an online radio broadcast stream?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home