Adventures of Prairie Girl and Code Minkey

Surviving floods, thwarting mosquito invasions, enduring weather extremes all while living in our little house...

Friday, January 20, 2006

Further to Renovations

So...we are finally at a stage where we can start laying down the hardwood that we have purchased into our bedroom. I can't wait. Jason has spent a great deal of time with some help from a friend, Brett, to lay down 1/2 inch thick pieces of spruce plywood. I was able to help a bit over the last couple of nights. Jason and Brett did the majority of the nailing. Let me tell you, I tried to wield the 20 ounce hammer and nail in a couple of times...I don't think I am even as strong as a very weak man! It took me multiple whacks (and my whacks just weren't strong enough). At least I had Jason laughing at my attempts. I discovered that I was much better at pre-drilling in screw holes and then drilling in the screws. That was much more fun, but hard on my knees. Even with the wonderful knee pads (originally purchased to save our knees from our snow-boarding lessons last year), it wasn't quite enough.

Wednesday night - the night that Moe re-offended and landed himself back in the re-training room - Jason applied the last of the "goop" to fill in the cracks between the boards and to level the room appropriately. Well, I guess "level" is a relative term for this room. I don't believe Jason has mentioned it, but this room used to be 2 rooms. One half of the room is one level, and the other half shows a half inch down slope. To help things even further, part of that half is only a quarter-inch off.

Let's just say that we were very happy when Brett came by with his fancy laser level and we mapped out the various heights of the room. I think the hardwood (which we will begin laying tomorrow) will look much better now.

If only I could get in there to paint...with all of the sawing of wood, I didn't want sawdust on my freshly painted wall. Now Jason wants to keep the ugly peach colour until the wood is layed so that he doesn't have to worry about damaging the wall. More on this soon, I'm sure...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home