Adventures of Prairie Girl and Code Minkey

Surviving floods, thwarting mosquito invasions, enduring weather extremes all while living in our little house...

Friday, January 06, 2006

Becoming a Manitoban

For the record I have been an Ontarian since I was ten days old, previous to which I was barely concious and an Albertan. Growing up I lived in Windsor, London, Burlington, Hamilton and Ottawa with heavy emphasis on Burlington and Ottawa. With that number of moves in my past and such a large variety of cities under my belt I was not overly concerned about moving again and felt I was prepared for Winnipeg. On December 23rd I bravely set off on a one way flight to Winnipeg. At approximately 3:30 pm (CST) the plane crossed over into Manitoba and a strange though occurred to me... "Am I a Manitoban yet and if I am not then when will I become a Manitoban?". From that moment on I watched for signs of my induction into Manitoban life.

By geography it was at 3:30 on the 23rd that I became Manitoban.

It was not until the plane landed that the pilot of the airplane said "... and if you are from Winnipeg: Welcome home". A dubious welcome at best.

Several days later (the 27th I believe) I obtained Manitoba's most revered membership and identification: a Safeway Card. Unlike anywhere I have lived before, Manitoba (and Winnipeg especially) believes that there must be a discount on something before it can be purchased. This coveted membership card enables me to get points when I buy groceries, obtain discounts and perhaps even get coupons to get more money off at safeway gas stations. Note: that all gas stations I have seen give 3.5 cents per litre off the listed price!

On January 4th I gave up my Ontario Driver's License for a Manitoba Driver's License. This event replaced my oldest provincial identification so perhaps that was the moment I became Manitoban. (Don't get me started on Insurance, Driving here or perception of the amount "traffic").

Of course I will have to wait until three months after I have moved here to get a Manitoba Health Card. In the meantime I hope I don't need a hospital, because it isn't until sometime around April Fool's Day that I officially become Manitoban, at least according to the province.

2 Comments:

At 12:35 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but according to lifelong inhabitants of Manitoba (Winnipeg)you will always be a "Transplant". Some may forget with time but those that do not will always remind you of the fact that you lived most of your childhood in "Toronto". Perhaps by the time your first born turns 12 years most people will cease referring to you as a Torontonian. :-)

Ps.: We drove by your place during the holidays in hopes to see you but it appeared you were out. We didn't get another chance to drop-by and say "Hello". Perhaps next time.

RB.

 
At 6:37 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, curiosity has gotten the best of me, even though I might regret it. I'll take up Jason's challenge regarding his statement: 'Don't get me started on Insurance, Driving here or perception of the amount "traffic"'

So Jason, how is the insurance, driving and amount of traffic in Winnipeg?

Cheers,
Mike J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home